This week has been all about getting in the swing of things…and it will probably be that way for a few more weeks. I was in New Jersey celebrating my cousin’s graduation from high school last weekend, and after a red eye flight out there and a 5:30 am flight home, I made it just in time for the first day of summer classes. Over the next 8 weeks I am taking 3 summer courses in addition to working part time, planning a wedding and training for a triathlon. It could get interesting, but I think it is do-able. I hope to be used to my new schedule and workload by the end of next weak. In the meantime…happy What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW)!
- Coconut oil
- Red pepper
- Yellow onion
- 2 farm fresh eggs + 1 egg white
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh oregano, salt + pepper
- Leftover BBQ Beef Brisket from dinner at Oskar Blues the night before
- Refried black beans
Before lunch I snacked on an apple while walking around campus.
For my afternoon “sensible” snack I had a classic green monster smoothie that I had prepared in the morning and brought with me.
- 4 ounces water
- 4 ounces cashew milk
- 1 banana
- 1 scant scoop Garden for Life Raw Protein
- 1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 leaf of kale
And what came out:
|Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki||
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs
- 2/3 cup Bragg’s liquid aminos (or soy or tamari)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Hot cooked short grain brown rice
- Trim chicken of excess fat and place in slow cooker.
- Combine liquid aminos, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey, orange marmalade, ginger, garlic, and black pepper with a blender. Add to slow cooker, stir, cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker to a cutting board and shred. Transfer sauce to a medium saucepan. Combine cold water and corn starch and pour into sauce mixture. Heat over medium heat until just boiling, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to boil gently for 20 seconds then transfer back to slow cooker with chicken and stir to combine.
- Serve over hot cooked brown rice and garnish with sesame seeds.
Transferring the sauce to a sauce pan and boiling with the cornstarch mixture is probably optional. You could probably just add the cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker and turn it on high for a few minutes to achieve the same effect without another dirty dish.
What is the best thing you have made in the slow cooker lately?