Summer is here! If you are looking to plan the perfect dinner party, I have got the recipes for you!! Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Bourbon-Peach Barbecue Sauce served on slider buns with a no-mayo coleslaw and steamed corn with Peach Upside Down Cake for dessert. Ask your guests to bring the coleslaw to make things even easier, or make either this one or this one yourself. Everything is prepped ahead of time so when your guests arrive you can spend more time welcoming them and socializing and less time in the kitchen finishing up cooking.
In the morning: Prep the pork for the slow cooker.
Go about your day, get a workout in, lay by the pool or in the yard, etc.
In the middle of the day: If your guests aren’t bringing coleslaw, prep the coleslaw now and refrigerate. Also, prep the peach upside down cake…eating the ends of the sliced peaches in the process.
Clean the house, get showered, etc.
Peach Upside Down Cake
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 peaches, sliced
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
½ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine salt
2 large eggs
¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon canola oil
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Rub an 8-inch square baking dish with butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and top with a layer of sliced peaches.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs then add buttermilk, oil, yogurt, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter over peaches, spreading evenly if necessary. Tap the bottom of the pan on the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center; 35-45 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Run a knife between the cake and the pan to loosen. Turn cake upside down onto a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before serving.
About 30-40 minutes before guests arrive. Finish up the pork, shredding it and making the sauce. Place it back in the slow cooker (tossed in sauce) on warm until ready to serve.
Shuck the corn and break in half. Place in a large pot in a single layer and cover (just slightly) with water. Cover.
About 5-10 minutes before guests arrive. Turn the heat under the covered pot with the corn to high. Bring to a boil. Boil for a few minutes then turn off, leaving the lid on. Allow the corn to steam until everyone is ready to eat (20 minutes or so)!
Serve shredded pork on top of slider buns with coleslaw and corn.
Be sure to save room for dessert! Top it off with a dollop of honey noosa yoghurt for a touch of creaminess.
There you have it! Serve everything with a delicious, refreshing cocktail on the side, such as a cucumber mojito (reduce the amount of sugar for a less sweet drink).
All of these recipes would be PERFECT for the 4th of July! Please enjoy them responsibly.